Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Minister takes residents to court

By Nomava Nobumba
23 February 2010

The Western Cape Housing Department is taking Delft residents to court after they fail to vacate the under construction area, which is the part of the N2 Gateway Project.

Departmental spokesperson Zalisile Mbali says after comprehensive consultations and negotiations with the residents, Minister Bonginkosi Madikizela last week, applied for an eviction order from the Western Cape High Court.

About 1800 families were ordered to move to the Temporary Relocation Area and 63 have refused to relocate.

Mbali says the opposing residents are delaying the construction process which is the part of the N2 Gateway Project.

“The contractor is refusing to continue with construction on this site on account of the health and safety risks presented to the 63 households who are refusing to vacate,” he said.

Mbali adds that his department is not abandoning the residents at all.

“These 63 households have been offered alternative TRAs which are between 500 and 700 meters from the current one and, thus, relocation will cause no disruption whatsoever to the work opportunities, amenities, schools and other facilities they are currently using.

Residents will be served today with notices and the matter will be heard on the 5th of next month in the Western Cape High Court.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Ilmainen www-laskuri