SAMWU set to discuss recovering programme
By Chanel September
19 February 2008
The South African Municipal Workers Union is set to meet later this week to determine a way forward over the City of Cape Town’s restructuring programme.
Strike action took place late last month and has affected certain services including refuse removal, which was not collected in some areas across the metro.
“Our strike is still on course and we will continue with our battle over the restructuring programme. We are consulting our members about demands so that we can plan a way forward,” says Samwu spokesperson Stanley Yiska.
“When we meet on Thursday we will have a meeting to access the situation, but we can only come to a conclusion based on the mandate of the meetings in the last two weeks,” says Yiska.
Meanwhile City of Cape Town spokesperson, Charles Cooper says that there have been reports of waste products not being collected, specifically in areas such as Mitchell’s Plain, Strandfontien, Bellville Wynberg, Diep River, Plumstead and Parkwood.
Cooper added that the go-slow of refuse removal can be seen as a direct result of strike action taken by Samwu members.